Blue Light Protection
Do you need to protect your eyes against blue light? The answer is a definite yes. Blue light – the part of the light spectrum with the highest energy and shortest wavelength – enters the eyes and passes through to the retina or the inner lining at the back of the eyes. This area is highly light-sensitive and reacts negatively to bad blue light. This blue light eye sensitivity triggers a series of potential ill effects. Therefore, protection from blue light is critical, as is the right choice of lenses to ensure the highest degree of effectiveness.
Not all blue light is bad, some parts of it are needed for your physical and mental health. The good blue light increases alertness, sharpens memory and cognitive function, regulates sleep and elevates moods.
The sun is the primary source of blue light, but prolonged exposure to blue light from digital devices is a cause of increasing concern. Digital devices can put people in high-risk groups due to prolonged exposure to screens at work and during leisure hours. Independent research conducted by companies such as Essilor points out that most people spend at least 12 hours a day on their laptops and phones. This is alarming as research shows that even 2-3 hours on a digital device can cause digital eye strain. The study also points out that 60% of people use smartphones before sleeping and as soon as they wake up.
Effects of Over Exposure to Blue Light
In extreme cases, damage to the retina may create conditions similar to macular degeneration which could trigger blindness.
Symptoms of blue light eye damage include digital eye strain or blue light eye strain, blurry vision, dry eyes, headaches and tired eyes. Some people may also experience sleep disturbances because an excess of blue light interferes with the circadian rhythm or the body’s sleep and wakefulness cycle.
Lenses & Coatings for Blue Light Protection
Opt for blue light FILTERING spectacle lenses that filter out blue light emanating from digital screens. Check some of the best options below:
- Computer glasses such as Eyezen help protect your eyes from extended exposure to blue light emitted from digital screens. The new technology these lenses incorporate blocks blue light up to 20%. Such glasses also help relax your eyes by reducing digital eye strain.
- Clear protective lens coatings such as Crizal Prevencia are perfect for indoor and outdoor eye protection from harmful rays. Here are some highlights of the lenses:
- The advanced technology protects your eyes from ultra-violet rays and filters out harmful blue-violet light, even as it allows healthy blue-turquoise light to penetrate.
- These lenses also score well on the Eye Sun Protection Factor (E-SPF).
- The anti-reflection and blue filter lenses provide the best vision in all light conditions.
- The lenses are resistant to smudges, scratches, dust and water.
- Another effective method to control blue light absorption is to use Transitions photochromic lenses that are clear in low light conditions but darken as the light increases they also offer optimal protection from harmful UV rays and blue light.
So go ahead, show your eyes some love: protect them from blue light!
Lens and Frames recommends various spectacle lenses for different needs refer to Types of Lenses.